SpeedCurve Synthetic can be integrated into your continuous integration or continuous deployment environment as a way to test for and react to performance issues.
Where does SpeedCurve fit in my CI/CD pipeline?
In a typical CI/CD pipeline, SpeedCurve fits in either the integration testing stage, or the post-deploy stage, or both.
- Compile code, run unit tests.
- Deploy the build to the testing environment.
- Run integration tests, trigger SpeedCurve tests on the testing environment.
- Promote the build to the staging/production environment.
- Trigger SpeedCurve tests on the staging/production environment.
How to do it
There are two main SpeedCurve components that you will use to provide this integration:
Using these components, you can implement a performance workflow that looks something like this:
- Set performance budgets within SpeedCurve.
- Change the code or content of your page(s).
- Trigger SpeedCurve tests using the Deploy API. (You can also trigger tests via CircleCI, if that's a tool you're already using.)
- Receive performance budget alerts if your changes introduced performance issues.
- Use these alerts to monitor the performance of your pages and tune your performance budgets.
- Cycle back to (2.)